Northern Trust, 75 Remittance Drive, Suite 6121, Chicago, IL 60675-6121
Church employers are required by Canon law to pay pension assessments on behalf of clergy, based on their compensation. Both The Church Pension Fund and clergy rely on you for timely assessment payments and accurate information.
- The current assessment rate is 18% of a cleric's total assessable compensation.
- Assessment payments keep clerics' participation in The Church Pension Fund active and up-to-date.
- The Church Pension Fund sends monthly or quarterly assessment notices to Church employers.
- Assessments are billed in advance and payable when billed.
- Late payments may jeopardize benefits and may result in interest charges.
Assessments Must Be Paid For:
- Clergy serving full-time
- Clergy serving part-time
- Clergy in supply or interim positions who are paid at least $200 per month (excluding travel expenses) for three or more consecutive months
Assessments Are Optional For Clergy Who:
- Earn less than $200 per month.
- Works for less than three consecutive months.