Healthy Recipe: Jamaican Jerk Chicken
Spice up your spring with this Jamaican dish that’s bursting with flavor!
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1½ teaspoons allspice (ground)
- 1½ teaspoons black pepper (ground)
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper (crushed, dried) 1 teaspoon hot pepper (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons oregano (crushed)
- ⅓ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 cup onion (pureed or finely chopped)
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 8 pieces of chicken, skinless (4 drumsticks, 4 breasts)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine all ingredients except the chicken in a large bowl. Rub the mixed seasonings over the chicken, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
Space the chicken pieces evenly apart on a non-stick or lightly greased baking pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 30–40 minutes, or until the meat can easily be pulled away from the bone with a fork.
- Number of servings: 10 (one serving is ½ breast or 2 small drumsticks)
- Calories: 150
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
Recipe courtesy of US Department of Health and Human Services; National Institutes of Health National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style