- Your new spouse is not an automatic beneficiary.
- You must name your spouse as a beneficiary within 180 days of getting married if you want your spouse to qualify to receive survivor's benefits.
- You may select a survivor's benefit of 25%, 50%, 60%, 75%, 85%, or 100% of your pension.
- You cannot change your spouse's benefit once selected.
Providing your new spouse with survivor's benefits will reduce your own pension. This reduction is determined by:
- The size of your pension
- The spousal option you choose
- Your age and that of your spouse
This benefit is not available until you reach age 65, if you are on disability retirement. Download the application for the Surviving Spouse Option: Marriage After Retirement.