Understanding The Church Pension Fund
Clergy Pension Plan — U.S. Dioceses
About This Course
Even if you’re years from retirement, your decisions today can impact your benefits in the future. Getting to know the Clergy Pension Plan can help you make the most of your pension benefit, other retirement benefits, and the benefits available to eligible Active clergy during their career.
Approximately 20 minutes
You will be prompted to sign in to your CPG Web Account and then automatically forwarded to the course.
Learn More Launch Course
Clergy Pension Plan
The Church Pension Fund Clergy Pension Plan for the Episcopal Church (Clergy Pension Plan) is a defined benefit plan.
If (1) you are a deacon, priest, or bishop who is canonically resident in any diocese of the Episcopal Church, (2) your employer is subject to the authority of the Church (or is associated with the Church and has elected to participate in the Clergy Pension Plan), and (3) your employer is located in a domestic diocese of the Church, you must participate in the Clergy Pension Plan if you are:
- Expected to be regularly employed for five or more consecutive months by the same employer; and
- Compensated by your employer.
For details about eligibility see:
As a participant in the Clergy Pension Plan, you may be eligible for various benefits before and after retirement. These include (but are not limited to):
- Short-term and long-term disability coverage (for active clergy)
- Group life insurance benefit
- Survivor’s benefits
- Access to The Episcopal Church Retirement Savings Plan (RSVP)
- Retirement options providing flexibility for when you can retire
- Medicare Supplement Health Plans
For details about the full range of benefits available, see:
- To save additional dollars for retirement, consider taking advantage of The Episcopal Church Retirement Savings Plan (RSVP). This is a is tax-deferred retirement savings plan that gives clergy in our defined benefit pension plan the option of contributing their own money toward their retirement savings. Learn more