Understanding the Clergy Pension Plan
eLearning - Understanding the Clergy Pension Plan
Understanding The Church Pension Fund
Clergy Pension Plan — U.S. Dioceses
About This Course
Even if you’re years from retirement, your decisions today can impact your benefits in the future. Getting to know the Clergy Pension Plan can help you make the most of your pension benefit, other retirement benefits, and the benefits available to eligible Active clergy during their career.
Approximately 20 minutes
You will be prompted to sign in to your CPG Web Account and then automatically forwarded to the course.
Learn More Launch Course
Getting to Know Your Clergy Benefits
This course will walk you through the revised Plan, including your pension benefit and how it’s calculated, what you need to know about being an Active or Inactive Participant, rules about working while pensioned, and much more.
You’ll find information to answer your questions:
- What determines the amount of my pension?
- When can I retire and what are my retirement benefits?
- What if I am between cures or working outside the Episcopal Church?
- What benefits are available if I die or become disabled?
Utilizing video explanations and personalization to facilitate learning, this online course provides a quick guide to your pension benefit and other benefits from The Church Pension Fund.
In 1917, The Church Pension Fund paid its first pension benefit, and for the past 100 years we have had the honor of administering pensions, retirement savings plans, and other benefits for eligible clergy and lay employees who serve the Episcopal Church.
At the beginning of our 100th year of service, we will be revising the pension and other related plans that we administer to create more modern plans that honor the commitments we have made in the past and that respond to the emerging needs of those we serve. These revisions are effective January 1, 2018.
These revisions will maintain the overall value of the benefits provided today and will offer greater flexibility, consistency, and simplicity. Revisions to The Church Pension Fund Clergy Pension Plan and The Church Pension Fund International Clergy Pension Plan recognize emerging types of ministry and address the needs of interim ministers, bi-vocational priests, part-time clergy, and clergy who experience longer breaks in service. Conforming changes to The Episcopal Church Lay Employees' Retirement Plan, The Episcopal Church Lay Employees' Defined Contribution Retirement Plan, and The Episcopal Church Retirement Savings Plan will ensure that consistent definitions of compensation and Highest Average Compensation are used across all plans.
The revisions were designed with input from more than 1,500 individuals from around the Church. This work was collaborative and iterative, which gives the Church Pension Group confidence that we have been successful in creating a pension plan that addresses the evolving needs of those we serve.
- I am just ordained
- I just landed my first job
- I want to understand the types of participant status
- I am a late ordinand concerned about my pension
- I want to understand what compensation will be used when calculating my pension
- I have employer-provided housing and no salary
- I am between cures
- I plan to retire early
- I want to review preretirement survivor benefits
- I want to review child benefits
- I am getting ready to retire
- I plan to work after retirement
- I want to financially plan for my survivors
- I wonder about healthcare coverage in retirement