Extension of Ministry
If you are starting a new position at a non-Episcopal organization, you may have the option to participate in the Clergy Pension Plan. Extension of Ministry allows you to continue to accrue Credited Service (CS) toward your retirement benefit and protect the other benefits available to you as a participant in the Clergy Pension Plan, provided assessments are paid on your compensation.
To qualify for an Extension of Ministry exception:
- You must be in good standing
- Your position must include educational and/or social work with a significant pastoral aspect, chaplaincy, or other religious duties that advance the mission of the Episcopal Church and do not violate the Constitutions and Canons of the Church. Strictly secular work is not eligible for an Extension of Ministry exception.
To apply for an Extension of Ministry:
- You, your canonical bishop, and the bishop of the diocese where you will be working, if applicable, must complete and submit the Extension of Ministry application to:
The Church Pension Fund
19 East 34th Street
New York, NY 10016
- This application requires:
- A description of your duties
- A letter from the Ecclesiastical Authority of the diocese in which you are canonically resident providing an explanation of how your work meets the criteria detailed above
- Compensation information and an indication whether you or your employer (or both) will be responsible for payment of your assessments for the Pension Plan. Assessments must be paid during your Extension of Ministry for you to accrue CS and be eligible for the benefits available to participants in the Clergy Pension Plan.
The Pension Plan administrator will notify you if your application has been approved. Your Extension of Ministry will be approved for a period no longer than two years, and you and your canonical bishop must request a renewal at least three months before the approved period expires. There is no limit on the total number of renewals that may be granted.
If you have any questions, please contact Client Services at (866) 802-6333, Monday – Friday, 8:30AM – 8:00PM ET (excluding holidays).