CPF Pension Plan Basics
Understanding The Church Pension Fund Clergy Pension Plan — US Dioceses
About This Course
A good understanding of The Church Pension Fund Clergy Pension Plan may help you make the right decisions today for your benefits in the future.
You’ll find information here to answer your questions:
- What determines the amount of my pension?
- When can I retire and what are my retirement benefits?
- What if I am between cures or working outside of the Episcopal Church?
- What benefits are available if I die or become disabled?
Personalized for your situation, this course provides key information about your pension benefit and other benefits from The Church Pension Fund.
Approximately 20 minutes per module
Clergy Pension Plan
The Church Pension Fund Clergy Pension Plan for the Episcopal Church (Clergy Pension Plan) is a defined benefit plan.
If (1) you are a deacon, priest, or bishop who is canonically resident in any diocese of the Episcopal Church, (2) your employer is subject to the authority of the Church (or is associated with the Church and has elected to participate in the Clergy Pension Plan), and (3) your employer is located in a domestic diocese of the Church, you must participate in the Clergy Pension Plan if you are:
- Expected to be regularly employed for five or more consecutive months by the same employer; and
- Compensated by your employer.
For details about eligibility see:
As a participant in the Clergy Pension Plan, you may be eligible for various benefits before and after retirement. These include (but are not limited to):
- Short-term and long-term disability coverage (for active clergy)
- Group life insurance benefit
- Survivor’s benefits
- Access to The Episcopal Church Retirement Savings Plan (RSVP)
- Retirement options providing flexibility for when you can retire
- Medicare Supplement Health Plans
For details about the full range of benefits available, see:
For more detailed information about the plan, see A Guide to Clergy Benefits (also available in Español). You can also contact CPG for an individual personal discussion, and we can help answer any questions you may have.
Tips & Resources - CPF Pension Plan Basics
- To save additional dollars for retirement, consider taking advantage of The Episcopal Church Retirement Savings Plan (RSVP). This is a is tax-deferred retirement savings plan that gives clergy in our defined benefit pension plan the option of contributing their own money toward their retirement savings. Learn more