The Greek definition of vision is “inspired insight.” Visioning is listening to your authentic dreams – what matters most to you in your life – and picturing what life is like when you realize those dreams. It allows you to explore those dreams with openness and attention, approaching your future with a mindset of possibility.
Your vision is the guiding theme of your life. It is a long-term picture that establishes your priorities for making short-term decisions.
Dare to dream!
Let your imagination take you to where you want to be in your life. Think about what it will be like when you get there. What do you want to achieve? How do you feel? How do you see yourself spending time and with whom?
Are you healthier, more active? Has your lifestyle changed?
Answering these questions will help you create a compelling image of your personal well-being, start you on your journey and increase your opportunities for success.
Claiming that underlying vision can help you develop your roadmap, by focusing on what is your real goal.
A Five-Point Process for Claiming Your Vision for Wellness
- Perceive: Look at your life and imagine the possibilities for wellness
- Prospect: Dig deeply into your longings and lay claim to your authentic dreams
- Plan: Develop a plan with achievable goals and objectives
- Practice: Step into your vision by practicing the wellness steps you planned
- Props: Utilize available services and nurture strong relationships with family, friends, and colleagues who support your wellness vision.
Once you have defined your vision, you can start on your journey.
- Develop a plan. What steps do you need to take? Make sure that your plan is realistic and fits into your lifestyle.
Set goals to start you in the right direction. See Set Attainable Goals.
- Implement the plan. Remember that life doesn’t always go according to plan, and you may have setbacks. Also remember that your vision is a long-term goal and if you keep “showing up” you will ultimately succeed.
- Celebrate your accomplishments. Be sure to celebrate your progress along the way and your ultimate success!
Your personal vision for wellness is like a GPS tracker, programmed to help you stay on course and keep you moving forward toward your vision. You may go off course once in awhile, but overall, you will be moving steadily toward your vision.
This material is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be professional medical advice or treatment. Always seek the advice of a healthcare professional with any questions about personal healthcare status and prior to making changes in approaches to diet and exercise. This material is not a guarantee of coverage under any Episcopal Church Medical Trust health plan.