Denominational Health Plan
The Episcopal Church’s Denominational Health Plan (DHP) is helping domestic dioceses, parishes and other ecclesiastical institutions subject to the authority of the Church control the rising costs of health care.
2018 Denominational Health Plan Annual Report
In 2018, The Episcopal Church Medical Trust (Medical Trust) continued its commitment to balance compassionate service with financial stewardship. Here is a summary of our accomplishments this year.
We contained healthcare costs:
- For 2019, most participating dioceses received below-average rate increases, and all increases were limited to the single digits.
Employers chose from multiple providers:
- We delivered meaningful choice by implementing our multi-vendor strategy and its array of plan designs, which include both traditional Preferred Provider Organization and Consumer-Directed Health Plan offerings.
We provided support to dioceses with annual benefits planning:
- We helped dioceses choose their plan offerings with educational and other support.
- We helped them implement strategies to achieve parity in how they fund healthcare benefits for clergy and lay employees.
The Medical Trust plans comply with the ACA:
- We complied with the ACA’s tax-reporting requirements and adhered to its applicable plan design standards.
- The Medical Trust plans continued to pay the ACA fees, saving the Church more than $3 million in total costs over time.
The future outlook for the DHP remains positive and has been bolstered by the complete implementation of our plan array strategy. In choosing among plans from Anthem and Cigna, as well as regional offerings from Kaiser Permanente, our members continue to enjoy multiple advantages, including robust provider access, affordable coverage, and meaningful choice.
The future of national healthcare reform remains unsettled, and contrasts with the stability that the DHP offers the Church. Given the ACA’s current status, we will stay watchful for any legislative initiatives that may affect our plans. Despite a constantly changing healthcare environment, we are committed to delivering cost-effective, comprehensive health benefits, and in complying fully with applicable laws and best business practices.
Health benefits are offered through plans maintained by Church Pension Group Services Corporation (doing business as The Episcopal Church Medical Trust), 19 East 34th Street, New York, NY 10016.