Short-Term Disability Benefit
Accidents happen. People get sick. In fact, nearly one-third of Americans entering the work force today will become disabled before they retire.1 Short-Term Disability Benefit allows your organization’s employees to continue paying their bills even when they can’t work for up to one year, and allows you to hire temporary help while they recover.
The Short-Term Disability Benefit covers major events such as:
- Maternity leave
- Extended illness
- Recovery from surgery
Active clergy participating in the Clergy Pension Plan are automatically enrolled for short-term disability benefits and are eligible for benefits, provided their pension assessments are current. For more information, see Short-Term Disability Benefit.
Active Lay Employees either receive this benefit from their employers or are eligible to subscribe and pay for this coverage through you, their employer.
New Disability Vendor
Zurich American Life Insurance Company (Zurich), a New York domestic life insurance company, will become the insurer for the group short-term disability (STD) and long-term disability (LTD) insurance policies, effective January 1, 2020.
We mailed enrollment packets to employers on September 30. Please watch your mailbox for these important materials!
Once you have reviewed the coverage options and cost exhibits in your packet, make your selections using our online form by October 25, 2019. If you do not make a selection, your group will automatically be enrolled in the default disability options identified in your packet.
Next Steps and Key Dates
- Make your online selections no later than October 25, 2019
- If you elect to offer employee-paid (voluntary) disability coverage, your employees will need to make an enrollment decision between November 1 and 29, 2019
- The effective date of coverage is January 1, 2020
All communications regarding the change will also be posted in Documents & Mailings. Check there for anything you may have missed!
1 Policy Number: CNYEX01112
To learn more:
- For premium rates, click here.
- Lay Employee Short-Term Disability Benefit Summary - Employee Paid Plan
- Lay Employee Short-Term Disability Benefit Summary - Employer Paid Plan
- Disability Claim Reporting Instructions
- Call Client Services at (855) 215-5990, Monday-Friday, 8:30AM-8:00PM ET (excluding holidays), or Email us
Unless otherwise noted, websites referenced herein that are outside the www.cpg.org domain are not associated with The Church Pension Fund and its affiliates (collectively, the Church Pension Group) and the Church Pension Group is not responsible for the content of any such websites.