Short-Term Disability Benefit
Accidents happen. People get sick. In fact, nearly one-third of Americans entering the work force today will become disabled before they retire.1 Short-Term Disability Benefit allows your organization’s employees to continue paying their bills even when they can’t work for up to one year, and allows you to hire temporary help while they recover.
The Short-Term Disability Benefit covers major events such as:
- Maternity leave
- Extended illness
- Recovery from surgery
Active clergy participating in the Clergy Pension Plan are automatically enrolled for short-term disability benefits and are eligible for benefits, provided their pension assessments are current. For more information, see Short-Term Disability Benefit.
Active Lay Employees either receive this benefit from their employers or are eligible to subscribe and pay for this coverage through you, their employer.
New Disability Vendor
Zurich American Life Insurance Company (Zurich), a New York domestic life insurance company, will become the insurer for the group short-term disability (STD) and long-term disability (LTD) insurance policies, effective January 1, 2020.
Next Steps and Key Dates
- Employers will receive a confirmation letter showing their disability insurance policy selection, or default plan placement (for those who did not make a selection during the enrollment period).
- If you elected to offer employee-paid (voluntary) disability coverage, your employees will need to make an enrollment decision between November 19 – December 31, 2019 using this enrollment form.
- Administrators may enroll eligible employees in employer-paid plans using MLPS beginning December 3, 2019. Groups adding 25+ new employees may use this template.
- The effective date of coverage is January 1, 2020.
Want more information? Register for Zurich's next webinar January 14, 2020, and watch our webinars now available on-demand.
All communications regarding the change will also be posted in Documents & Mailings. Check there for anything you may have missed!
1 Policy Number: CNYEX01112
To learn more:
- See Disability Premiums for premium rates
- See Short-Term Disability Publications for detailed Summaries of Benefits for all short-term disability plans
- Disability Claim Reporting Instructions
- Call Client Services at (855) 215-5990, Monday-Friday, 8:30AM-8:00PM ET (excluding holidays), or Email us
Policy Number: CNYEX01112
Disability Insurance Disclaimer
Unless otherwise noted, websites referenced herein that are outside the www.cpg.org domain are not associated with The Church Pension Fund and its affiliates (collectively, the Church Pension Group) and the Church Pension Group is not responsible for the content of any such websites.