Road To Retirement Checklist
Whether retirement is a distant dream or a next step, it is never too early — or too late — to start planning!
Road to Retirement Checklist
- Set realistic financial goals for retirement.
- Make a budget and stick to it.
- Estimate the cost of college education for children and other family members.
- Review your life insurance policies.
- Review your pension benefits:
- Defined Contribution Plan: Review your Fidelity account.
- Defined Benefit Plan: To arrange a time to review the status of your benefits, call Pension Services at (800) 936-7349, Monday - Friday, 8:30AM - 8:00PM ET (excluding holidays).
- Assess your savings, including retirement savings (including your Retirement Savings Plan, if you participate) and other pension plans in which you or your spouse may be vested, as well as other potential sources of retirement income.
- Review your annuities and retirement savings accounts.
- Think about where you would like to live in retirement and research costs.
- Review your Social Security information.
- Download the Defined Benefit Retirement Plan: Summary Plan Description or the Defined Contribution Retirement Plan: Summary Plan Description for details about your pension plan.
- Review your medical insurance needs and options.
And if you plan to retire within the next six months, you should:
- Request your Medicare card from the Social Security Administration at least three months before your 65th birthday.
- Decide when to take Social Security benefits.
- Consider opportunities to earn income after retirement, but remember that Social Security and The Church Pension Fund limits retirement earnings.
Unless otherwise noted, websites referenced herein that are outside the www.cpg.org domain are not associated with The Church Pension Fund and its affiliates (collectively, the Church Pension Group) and the Church Pension Group is not responsible for the content of any such websites.